BISHOPS CASTLE CHALLENGE WALK
SATURDAY 4TH AUGUST 2018
- There are three car parks in town: the Auction Yard (off Station St.), Harley Jenkins St (off Church St) and High Street car park (entrance next to newsagents). Street parking is free and unrestricted but use the car parks if at all possible.
- Please respect farm property and follow the Country Code—close all gates, even if people are walking behind you, leave litter at checkpoints, no smoking in forestry or near bracken or moorland.
- Walk in single file through arable fields that haven’t yet been harvested to minimise damage to crops.
- Walk quietly in single file across farmland with cattle or horses to minimise disturbance to the animals.
- No dogs or bicycles allowed anywhere on route
- Mug or beaker, unbreakable, for drinks at checkpoints and lunch stop. There will be NO hot drinks available. Please bring your own if you need them.
- Mobile phone
- Good footwear—you are advised to wear walking boots because it could be wet/muddy in places
- Suitable clothing, including a waterproof coat and trousers
- Compass and OS Explorer Map 216 Welshpool & Montgomery.
- First aid kit—plasters, sun hat and sun bloc
- Extra snacks and drinks for emergencies
The walk is described in four stages, with 2 checkpoints (about half way on the first 13 miles and second 11 miles) where you must give your number to the marshal and will be offered refreshments, and a lunch stop at Shelve. Emergency transport is available at Shelve and the 2 checkpoints.
You must register at Bishop’s Castle Town Hall before walking, from 7.30 a.m. depending on the walk you are doing.
You must report to a checkpoint marshal if you wish to retire.
You must finish at the Town Hall where beer & nibbles, tea & cakes will be on offer.
The Organisers have arranged only public liability insurance cover and cannot accept responsibility for injuries sustained during the event. All transport to and from checkpoints is given on a voluntary basis.
For information or help before the walk, please contact Jane Carroll: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01588 638467
Or Glynn Roberts: email@example.com
Emergency telephone numbers during the day: 07966 720006 or the Town Hall 01588 630023
For more information about the Town Hall go to www.bishopscastletownhall.co.uk
For more information about the area, what to do, where to stay and places to visit, go to www.bishopscastle.co.uk and/or www.clun.info